For many of us the garden is ready to harvest many flowers for drying and using around the house. I just love this time of year with bunches of flowers hanging in the kitchen or over my bed. This project is great if you have some extra dried flowers hanging out now the gardens are flourishing. If you don’t you can always buy some to make this. This basic recipe can be used to make many flower-based soap so don’t be afraid to dig out some goodies from the garden.
What is Calendula soap good for?
Calendula soap is great for your skin but it is amazing for dealing with acne in particular. In fact, you can find several brands that make a calendula soap for acne treatment, One popular option is Richfeel calendula soap for acne. By making your own you can have a soothing goat’s milk base with real calendula petals that help to massage and exfoliate your skin at the same time.
Calendulas healing and antiinflamitory properties make it great for washing skin that has rashes rather than using a strong chemical soap that can leave the rash dry and inflamed.
It is vital that you wash cuts, scrapes, and bruises. A natural calendula goat milk soap is a great option for cleaning away germs from mild injuries to help prevent infection. At the same time, the calendula helps to heal the damage so your skin can heal faster.
The anti-inflammatory and germ-killing properties of calendula is great for using to wash insect bites making a soothing soap to use after a long day of foraging or camping in the woods where you are likely to get insect bites.
How to make calendula soap
Makeing your own calendula soap is easy and a great way to save money on quality soap that cna leave your skin feeling fresh, clean, and healthy.
Ingredients for calendula goats milk soap:
- 2 lb goat’s milk melt and pour soap base
- 50 drops Calendula essential oil
- 25 drops rosehip oil
- ¼ cup dried calendula flowers
- 4” soap mold
- Soap cutter
How to make calendula soap:
- Cut the soap base into 1-inch cubes.
- Place into a microwave-safe measuring cup. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir, then heat for additional 30-second increments, until fully melted, stirring well between each heating session.
- Add Calendula essential oil and rosehip oil stirring well.
- Add calendula petals, reserving a bit for the top of the soap. Stir to combine.
- Pour soap base into the soap mold and sprinkled remaining calendula petals on the top, pushing them into the soap.
- Allow soap to set overnight.
- Remove soap from the mold and cut into 1-inch bars.